Submitted by Ricky Parker, C'08, Communications and Marketing Committee
Virginia Union University Ruth Coles Harris Leadership Institute hosted the 2021 Leadership Awards Luncheon on Saturday, September 18, at 11:30 A.M. on campus at the Claude G. Perkins Living and Learning Center.
This year, the Ruth Coles Harris Leadership Institute honored the following honorees:
- Dr. Roslyn M. Brock (alumnus): Former Board Chairman for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and Chief Global Equity Officer for Abt Associates
- Carlos M. Brown: Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer, Dominion Energy
- Beverly Brown Davis (alumnus): Associate Professor at J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College, and Chief Operating Officer of Davis Brothers Construction Company
- Greta J. Harris: President & CEO, Better Housing Coalition, and member of the Markel Corporation Board of Directors and the Virginia Tech University Board of Visitors
- Richard A. Lambert, Sr. (alumnus): President and Owner of Robert C. Scott, Incorporated, which is the parent company of Scott’s Funeral Home, and President of Richard A. Lambert Investments, LLC
- N. Scott Phillips, Esq. (alumnus): Managing Member, N. Scott Phillips Legal and Business Consulting Services LLC, Director of the Mid-Atlantic Region MBDA Advanced Manufacturing Center and Board of Trustees, Virginia Union University
The institute is named in honor of Dr. Ruth Coles Harris, the first African American female to pass the CPA examination in the Commonwealth of Virginia, and among the first 100 African Americans in the United States to pass.
Ruth Coles Harris was the founding Dean of the Sydney Lewis School of Business and served as a member of the faculty for 48 years and remains active within the University.
Leave a Reply